SMART M NS 980nm 10W - Neurosurgery and Orthopedics (P.L.D.D.).
The treatment of PLDD with Smart M laser device.
Percutaneous laser disc decompression (PLDD) is a type of surgery in which a laser probe is inserted into the intervertebral disc space and laser energy applied for achieving decompression and neuromodulation thereby relieving the pain.
PLDD is a minimally invasive procedure that falls into the category of percutaneous intervertebral surgeries with the aim to significantly reduce the patient's pain and recover neurological deficit. It is performed under local anaesthesia. By a specially designed laser, with a coefficient of absorbing energy adjusted for soft discus tissue, specific amount of heat is sent to achieve the evaporation of the water from the disc without additional thermal damage thus achieving decompression and creation of a stable intradiscal scar that will prevent herniation from reoccurring.
Who should consider PLDD?
- This procedure is specifically designed for patients with disc problems - accompanied by the following:
- Severe leg, arm, neck or lower back pain.
- Pain that has not responded to six weeks of conservative treatments- rest, meds or physical therapy.
- Herniated lumbar discs confirmed by x-ray studies that may include one or more of the following: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), CAT Scanning, - Myelography, Discography.
PLDD is a minimally invasive laser treatment performed on an outpatient basis using only local anaesthesia. During the procedure, a laser beam vaporizes a tiny portion of the disc, decompressing it. Patients typically get off the table and go home. There is no hospital stay, no long recovery period, and PLDD costs many thousands of dollars less than surgery.
The advantages of laser treatment of PLDD
- Local anaesthesia, minimally invasive surgery, non-bleeding, mini-invasive
- Operation time is short, safe, effective
- Rapid recovery, fewer complications
- It can be used for several treatments for PLDD at same time.